Looking for a delicious salad for your lunch? This salad is filling, nutritious and easy to prepare and store for a few days.
The combination of raw and cooked/roasted ingredients also makes it very satisfying and comforting.
This salad can also be great to prepare for a party and share with friends and family.
Here's how to make your butternut squash salad with french lentils. 🙂
- Butternut squash (around 700 gram), peeled and diced
- 1 cup dry (or 2-2.5 cooked) french/puy lentils (use brown, green or black lentils instead)
- 250g bag of kale (or any other mixed salad greens)
- 1 cup of cherry/plum tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion
For roasted butternut squash
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp blackstrap molasses
For massaged kale
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ avocado
- Pinch of salt
For cashew dressing
- ½ cup cashew nuts, soaked
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove of garlic
- ⅓ cup water
- toasted seeds (sunflower, pumpkin or sesame)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (~360°F).
- Stir olive oil, soy sauce and molasses together. Pour into the bowl with butternut squash and toss together until evenly covered. Spread on a baking tray and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- If you are using dry lentils, cook them for around 20-25 minutes until soft (You can also use canned lentils if preferred).
- In the meantime add lemon juice, avocado, and salt to the bowl with kale and massage the leaves for 1-2 minutes until soft.
- For the cashew dressing, simply blend all the above listened ingredients until smooth.
- Add roasted butternut squash, cooked lentils, tomato, avocado, onion and cashew dressing to the kale and toss together.
- If using toasted seeds and sprouts, sprinkle them on the top and serve.
Enjoy this recipe and if you know someone else who would enjoy this salad, please share it with them. If you make this salad, please take a photo and tag me! 🙂