These hazelnut and orange brownies are rich and decadent and packed with nutrients which makes them a perfect treat!
If you decide to skip the avocado ganache, roll them into a power balls or cookies to have a portable and healthy snack when on the go. 🙂
- 2 cups of hazelnuts (pre-soaked and roasted)
- 1 cup pitted (~150g) soft dates
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract
- Zest of 1 orange (preferably organic)
- ¼ cup (~30g) cacao butter, melted in a water bath
- 1 medium sized avocado (ripe and soft)
- 1 cup soft dates
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- ¼ cup melted raw coconut oil
- Pre-soak the hazelnuts in water for at least 8h (or overnight in the fridge).
- Dry the nuts roughly with a paper towel and spread on a baking tray.
- Roast the nuts at 200ºC (~400ºF) until crunchy and fragrant, for about 15-20 minutes. Make sure you check on them every now and then so they don’t burn.
- After they cool down put them in a kitchen towel and rub for a couple of minutes to get rid of the brown husk.
- If you are short on time, skip pre-soaking nuts and only roast them. You could also use raw hazelnuts but roasting them will help with breaking down in a food processor and add a nice flavour to your brownies.
- Melt the cacao butter in a water bath, by placing them in a container suspended in hot water.
- Place hazelnuts in a food processor and process until crumbly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and process until well combined. When the mixture start to clump into a ball the base it's ready.
- Transfer the brownie mass into a silicon or glass tray and press firmly. If you are using glass container and are planning to take ready brownies out before serving you might need to line it with a cling film or aluminium foil.
- Leave in the fridge to stiffen.
- Place all the ingredients in the blender and process until smooth.
- Spread the ganache onto the brownie filling and refrigerate for another few hours.
Decorate before serving with little orange zest or cacao nibs.
Enjoy this recipe and if you know someone else who would like it too, share it with them.
If you make the above hazelnut brownies, please take a photo and tag me! 🙂