The original recipe for this salad was introduced to me over a decade ago when I was living in Germany.
Since then I made this salad countless times in different variations.
The secret of this recipe lies in toasting the seeds and adding a very simple dressing of two ingredients: good quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
As a side dish, it can be made only with wild rocket (arugula), tomatoes, and seeds.
If you would like to make it for a dinner, feel free to add the optional ingredients.
- 60g wild rocket (or any mixed salad greens)
- 150g plum/cherry tomatoes (or regular tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Cold pressed virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Red onion
- Bell pepper
- Marinated and baked/fried tofu or tempeh*
- Cooked beans**
- Cooked grains***
- Wash, dry, and arrange in a salad bowl with wild rocket/arugula or any greens that you are using.
- Chop tomatoes and any other ingredients that you like (e.g. red onion, bell pepper and avocado) and added them into the greens.
- Toast pumpkin and sunflower seeds on a dry, nonstick skillet until golden. Leave aside for a few minutes to cool down. You can also add (without toasting) other seeds such as sesame and hemp seeds.
- Add any optional ingredients into the salad bowl, such as beans, tofu/tempeh, grains and sprouts.
- Sprinkle with prepared seeds, pour olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Then toss it together.
*If you want to add tempeh or tofu, they'll taste best if you marinate them for at least 30 minutes and fry or bake afterward. You could also use ready seasoned or smoked tofu/tempeh.
**Cooked and drained beans can be added directly though they taste better when roasted in the oven for 15-20 minutes until crispy or toasted on a dry frying pan.
***You can use leftover quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth or any other grains that you like.
Enjoy this recipe and if you know someone else who would enjoy this salad, please share it with them. If you make this salad, take a photo and tag me! 🙂