Looking for a tasty and easy-to-make salad without living in the kitchen?
Here's one of my favorite recipes for making a delicious salad while enjoying the process. 🙂
This salad is very filling and great to prepare if you are looking for healthy 'comfort' food.
Adding baked sweet potato and chickpeas makes it a yummy, warming, and filling meal during cold days.
Kale is a true super-food, packed with micro nutrients like calcium, potassium and iron.
Sweet potato is particularly rich in beta-carotene (Vitamin A precursor) and slow energy releasing complex carbohydrates.
Avocado adds some healthy fats, which boosts nutrient absorption, whereas chickpeas brings in more protein to the meal.
All together it makes for a tasty and nutritionally balanced combination.
Here's how you can get started:
- 1 bag (200-250g) kale
- 1 lemon, juiced
- A sprinkle of salt
- Half a soft avocado
Baked Sweet Potato and Chickpeas
- 1 big sweet potato (~500g) - cleaned and cut into cubes
- 1 cup of cooked chickpeas (you can use canned too)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 8-10 small plum tomatoes
- half avocado (cut into cubes)
- Mixed seeds (sesame, sunflower and pumpkin)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (~390°F).
- Mix all the spices and the olive oil in a large bowl. Use half of the spices to cover chopped sweet potato and the rest of the mixture add to chickpeas.
- Line a tray with a baking paper and transfer evenly covered with spice mix sweet potato and chickpea. Try not to mix them together on the tray, as they might need different baking time.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and toss around. If you prefer your chickpeas not too crispy and your sweet potato are ready at this point, leave the tray aside to cool. Otherwise you can return it to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables are baking, prepare massaged kale.
- Remove kale leaves from the stems, add lemon juice, salt and avocado and massage all together until kale leaves soften.
- Add massaged kale to the salad bowl. Top with roasted sweet potato, chickpeas and rest of veggies. Sprinkle sesame or other seeds on the top. Best taste served with tahini-mustard dressing. You can also use your favourite salad dressing or hummus.
Enjoy this recipe and if you know someone else who would enjoy this salad, please share it with them.
Also, if you make this salad, feel free to take a photo and tag me in it! 🙂