Check out this zucchini fudge cake to see what's possible!
All the ingredients - shredded zucchini, bananas, oat flour, and a good quality cocoa powder make it delicious and healthy at the same time.
If you don't have access to a blender or food processor simply mash ripe bananas with a fork, combine with other wet and dry ingredients and mix in shredded, well squeezed courgette with chocolate at the end.
Let's make it!
- 1 kg shredded zucchini (courgette)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate/ 1/2 cup cacao nibs (optional)
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider vinegar
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup plant milk*
- 1 Tbsp ground flax
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 7 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cup oat flour**
- 1 cup xylitol/erythritol***
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- a pinch of cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (~400ºF).
- Grate zucchini (courgette) on the fine setting using hand grater or a food processor.
- Wrap it in a cheesecloth or a nut bag and squeeze as much moisture out as possible. Leave on a strainer, while you prepare the rest of the cake. (This is necessary step, as zucchini contains a lot of water.)
- Blend all wet ingredients in a blender or a food processor until smooth.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add wet mixture to the dry, mix thoroughly with a spoon.
- Add zucchini (courgette), dark chocolate or cacao nibs and mix again.
- If the dough seems too liquid, add some more oat flour.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake for around 60 minutes (depending on the oven) at 200ºC.
- Add some melted chocolate on the top, if you like.
*Start with 1/4 cup of plant based milk. Depending on how well you squeeze zucchini, you might not need more. If the mixture is to thick after adding dry ingredients to wet ones, add more milk.
**Use different kind of flour if you want. Quinoa, gluten-free or wheat flour will work well.
***This recipe calls for xylitol or erythritol, which are a great solution for everyone who cannot use refined sugar. Feel free to use regular sugar, but make sure to adjust the amount. Xylitol or erythritol are less sweet, so you won't need a full cup if you decide to add refined sugar instead.
If you want to boost the protein amount in this cake replace 2-3 Tbsp of cacao powder with chocolate protein powder.
Enjoy this recipe and if you know someone else who would like it too, share it with them.
If you make the above zucchini fudge chocolate cake, please take a photo and tag me! 🙂