The tofu struggle was real.
For a long time I was trying to come up with scramble tofu recipe that only required simple ingredients and tasted really good.
Most recipes call for nutritional yeast and black salt, which weren't always easy to find.
Also, some people are allergic to yeast or choose not to eat it for different reasons.
The spice mix below gives tofu the unique, smoky and slightly spicy taste using only simple ingredients that can be found in most kitchens.
Let's get started!
- 1 onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 200 g mushrooms (optional)
- 2 blocks (~400 g each) of firm tofu, drained
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp liquid aminos/tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 3-4 Tbsp water (to mix with spices)
- Splash of unsweetened almond or soy milk (optional)
- spinach (optional)
- Mix all the spices together with liquid aminos or its alternatives and liquid smoke (if using) in a small bowl. Add water to ensure that all the spices are well combined. Set aside.
- Add chopped onion and mushrooms to the pan with a bit of water and saute for a few minutes until soft.
- Stir in crushed garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add prepared spices to the pan and mix with onion, garlic and mushrooms.
- Put crumbled tofu to the pan and stir in with the rest of the ingredients. Add plant-based, unsweetened milk or water if the mixture is too dry and stir well.
- If using spinach, add it at the end when tofu is ready. Stir it for a couple of minutes until the leaves are cooked and serve.
- This recipe calls for 2 blocks of tofu to make it meal prep friendly. If you prefer using a smaller amount, use half of the above ingredients.
- You can add other vegetables, beans or grains to this recipe. Some fast cooking vegetables such as bell peppers, asparagus, broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes can be added and cooked together with mushrooms. Cooked beans and grains you can add together with tofu.
- To make it easier, prepare spice mix in a jar for later use.
Enjoy this recipe and if you know someone else who would like it too, please share it with them.
Also, if you make this scramble tofu, drop me a comment below and let me know! 🙂