- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 lb yellow split peas (soaked overnight)
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- A pinch of black pepper, cloves, cayenne and cinnamon*
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp tomato paste (optional)**
- Salt to taste (optional)***
- Saute chopped onion until translucent. (You can use olive oil or water, for oil free cooking).
- Add crushed garlic and grated ginger and cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in cumin, turmeric, black pepper, cloves, cayenne, cinnamon, split peas and vegetable stock. Cook for about 20 minutes and add tomato paste (if using).
- Cook another 10 minutes; add salt to taste if needed. Cooking time will depend on soaking time. You can use unsoaked split peas, however they will require longer cooking.
- Serve with cooked brown rice, chopped coriander and toasted almonds. You can also replace rice with chapatis, tortillas or naan bread.
*Use around 1/16 tsp of each spice. This is a quarter of the ¼ measuring teaspoon.
If you have only whole cloves, use 2 and remove them after cooking. You can also use a small bark of cinnamon instead of ground one. You don’t need to be too precise when measuring those spices. Start with less and try if it’s enough before you add more.
**Tomato puree adds a bit of flavor but it can be omitted if you don’t have it on hand.
***Some store-bought vegetable stocks are very salty. Before you add any salt, try if the soup needs any.
Hope you enjoy! 🙂